A trending must-have accessory for many young women this season seems to be a bearded hipster man! Beards which were favored by men in the late 19th century had gradually given way to mustaches in the early 20th and then to a no facial-hair clean look which symbolized the 20th century modern man. However as with all things post-modern, bohemian and fashion you go back to earlier forgotten trends to stir the pot… and so facial hair is back from New York to Beirut and with it an entire industry of facial hair grooming is booming! As usual, leave it to the Lebanese to take a trend to the next level: in Beirut these days you can have your beard degradée or with a ombré effect and some men are even having facial hair transplants to join the hairy club! So how do you tell apart a hipster beard from a religious beard? particularly the long Victorian preacher-style beard that some hipsters go for ?!? Hipster bearded men often sport other anti-convention hints, a carefully crafted non-challant look, tight pants and often a mix of flashy expensive fashionable items (e.g. new shoes, large bag or sunglasses) with simple items (e.g. a white, black or plaid shirt). One place you’re not likely to be confused is the Mar Mikhaël street in Beirut where you will be be surrounded by the latest beards sipping on the latest beers!
Let me know what you make of this trend? Would you date a hipster bearded man or ask your man to grow the extra facial hair in 2015?
Maybe today is a rainy day, but the days are getting longer and the shorts shorter and I am getting ready for more sun!
My mom’s idea of supporting me through the pre and post labor phases has meant for the most part cooking and cooking some more… of course she went way overboard and I’m enjoying every bite of it, each bringing back unique childhood memories and a lot of comfort as it reminds me that I have the support I need to go forward…
I particularly want to focus on Meghleh, a traditional Middle Eastern pudding served as a treat to family and friends after the birth of a new baby.
Meghleh has been flowing in my house for the past couple of weeks and I have consumed industrial amounts of it! Not only is it smooth, delicious, festive and addictive but more importantly for breastfeeding mommies, it can give you a much needed and quick energy boost to cover those extra calories you’ll still need to insure your milk supply while benefiting from its healthy ingredients:
- Spices: caraway and cinnamon (Grandmas swear that those spices help stimulate the breast milk production)
- Rice flour
- Toppings: shredded coconut, raw walnuts, pine nuts, almonds and pistachios, each boosting your diet with filling protein, fiber, healthy unsaturated fats and important vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
Walking towards you my baby… 2 more months…
Since NYC has become an icebox in the past few days and because the 3rd trimester is looming on the horizon and promising to be quite a rollercoaster with discomfort making its big comeback and a long list of preparations in anticipation for the big baby # 2 day, it was time for one last sunny Hooray! Hello Babymoon!
My Babymoon Planning Checklist:
• Consult with OB prior to booking to make sure it is safe to travel and because some destinations require prior vaccination
• Timing: 2nd trimester (week 18 to 24) is the safest time for pregnant women to travel
– Would like South Africa but need relaxation more than adventure at the moment so –> any amazing beach
– Short travel time is ideal but will not compromise on the beach
– Somewhere with good medical facilities
• Result: Hawaii (I know I’m pushing it a bit with the 11hour flight time!)
On the plane:
• Wear compression socks, comfortable clothes and layers to account for the various temperatures during transit
• Keep feet elevated if possible and don’t cross legs to help prevent leg swelling
• Get up and walk around every hour or so to aid blood circulation
• Keep hydrated
My Beach Packing List (I’ll only share the essentials here…I’m not a light packer!):
• Don’t forget the prenatal vitamins
• Plenty of sunscreen to avoid dark pregnancy patches in the sun
• Hand gel sanitizer and sanitizing wipes
• Fill iPhone with the latest hit tunes and delete all pictures to make space for new ones
• Lots of bikinis
• Jelly sandals
• Light flowy clothes
Inside my travel bag
Manhattan was freezing last night but my spring look and the hope for sunnier memories in 2014 kept me warm!
@ the MAD
Valentino braid by John Barrett’s braid bar